Wednesday, October 03, 2007

10 Things Post 1


Hi to everyone @ Skokie Public Library reading my blog!

Thing 1 - Blogging:

As you can see, I've been blogging for quite a while. It's a fun way to get out your thoughts and viewpoints. It's also a method of keeping friends and loved ones updated on your goings on.

There no real format you have to follow when blogging. You can be as formal or as free as you want. It's up to you. :) Just remember to have fun and talk about things you want.

One warning, though. You need to remember that once you've hit the "Publish Post" button, your words are irrevocably out in the open. Places like The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine archive just about everything. That means that even if you revise or delete a blog post, there's still a copy of it.

Yes, dear blogger, there is such a thing as a permanente record. :(


Thing 2 - RSS Feeds:

Believe it or not, I do read RSS Feeds. I just don't link to them via Google. I use a dedicated "Feed Reader", which is also called an Aggregator. I normally have it set to check the Chicago Tribune, C-Net News, the BBC, and CNN among other places. This is how I keep up with the news when I don't get a chance to watch it at 10 P.M. on TV. Plus, it comes to me instead of me going to it.

Also, I've attached an RSS feed to my blog in case anyone's intereested.

Thing 3 - Instant Messaging:

Believe it or not, I was doing this back in the early '90s. IMing (which is shorthand for Instant Messaging) first appeared on the Internet scene back then as part of the America Online package, which I was (foolishly) using back then. I immediately dove in feet first and ended racking up a $500 phone bill (there was no such thing as "high speed internet" in those days, everything Internet was done via dialup). Needless to say, that phone bill hurt. I've since sworn off any and all forms of IMing, but I can do it if needed. If you want to look for me, I still have an AOL account (twicross@aol.com) and I still pop up on AIM when I log in to check my mail there.

Thing 4 - Socal Networking:

Yep, I'm already on MySpace as well. You can find me here. MySpace is interesting, mainly because it started out as a site designed for musicians, promoters, and record labels to link up and hob-knob. When those of use music fans found out about it, we started signing up as well. One thing led to another, and as they said on the Sopranos "Bada-Boom, Bada-Bing", a phenomena was born.


I'm also on Librarything as well. You can find me here and here.


Well gotta run for now. You know...the whole "duty calls" thing. :)

-Wookie Boy

2 Comments:

Blogger rich said...

wow, it definitely looks like you're an early adopter! that's great :)

12:37 PM  
Blogger Karen Soto said...

Very cool. I don't feel so comfortable about myspace for myself -but cool page.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home