Monday, October 08, 2007

Ten Things - Part Three

Thing Nine

I played with Google Docs a while and am underwhelmed. The biggest advantage I can see with it id the fact that any spreadsheet or document you create with it can be accessed anywhere there's a net connection. Otherwise, it's an over glorified e-mail program. I personally prefer BBEdit. It may be offline, but it's scads more powerful. In addition to text editing, it also handles web development, command line, and is also a programing environment. It's the type of thing I wish I had 20 odd years ago, when I was a snot nosed hacker. ;)

I also had a chance to play with Google SMS when it rolled out a while . It's a nice idea, but a pain in the butt to use with the cell phone key pad. If I wanted web browsing on my cell, I'd buy an IPhone. ;)



Thing Ten

The library does have an excellent web presence. If you look over on the right side of my blog you'll notice it's one of my links. In fact, I recommend our site as a good place to start when people ask me where to start looking for something (the other site I mention is Google). In all honesty, I think our site's one of the best around. :)

On the Digital Books thing I've downloaded one or two of the tech books in the past. It's a pretty good idea. Unfotunatly, I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to books. I prefer to have a dead tree version in my hand rather than two digital copies on my computer. Plus who brings their laptop with them to read books? To use the Internet, play games, or get work done certainly. But to read books? Come now, that foolishness. ;)

Digital audiobooks are a very good idea. Rent or buy, they can be a major help in getting through a book one's been itching to read. For auidobooks, I prefer to actually buy the CDs, but I know a good amount of people that buy them off of ITunes (for example) or check them out from our digital collection. All the feedback I've heard is positive.

Well that's officially it. All 10 things. As John McClane one said: "Yippie-ki-yay, (bad word deleted) !" ;)

Have fun and I'll be roaring at you again soon,

Wookie

4 Comments:

Blogger rich said...

i hope you keep blogging :)

5:55 PM  
Blogger Karen Soto said...

ROCK ON! Its

7:59 PM  
Blogger Karen Soto said...

Rock on Buddy! A bit of a mountain climb isn't it. Congrats on finishing!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Karen Soto said...

Congrats on finishing!! :)

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home