Saturday, October 13, 2007

Wookx and Workx

Well, here we are again. I guess it must be fate. ;)

I was doing my daily reading of C-Net News and found an interesting reference in one their articles. The article was about a gent that collected old computers. He in turn decided to show off his collection on his website. Said website can be found here and is just a touch scary. I say "scary" because it's a bit painful to see how primitive some of what we all used back in the '70s & '80s was. Believe it or not, most of the computers on the earlier side of things didn't use floppies...but instead used cassette tapes! Creepy stuff, huh?

And now for something completely different...to quote Monty Python.

Have you ever wondered if that weird old roadside tourist trap from family vacations long past is still around? If you do wonder than you might want to check out Roadside America. It's a good travelog of all of those kitschy "roadside attractions" of family car trips and vacation odysseys. One of the easier ways to navigate the site is to go to the top of the page and click on the "U.S. Map" link. There you can go state by state and experience the goofiness. For example here in Illinois there's :

A Popeye statue in Chester
Arcola's Hippie Memorial
The McDonald's Museum over in Des Plaines
Downstate, the city of Metropolis has declared itself "The Hometown of Superman"
Gays has a double decker outhouse
There's a golden pyramid in Wadsworth
And I can't go without mentioning the Leaning Tower YMCA up the street in Niles

And that just a sampling from Illinois. You should see some of the stuff from other parts of the country. (Try here and here for two examples)...

Well, gotta run. It's just about time for me to go to lunch.

Roar at ya again soon,

Wookie Boy

4 Comments:

Blogger rich said...

thanks for the link to the old computers site! my first computer was the apple iic. i loved it.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Talky Tina said...

I love Roadside America. I spent a few hours just finding out where all the Muffler Men were located. I want to take a trip and just find them. (Patty)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Talky Tina said...

Roadside America is an awesome sight. I found it by chance. I spent a few hours just looking at all the pics of the Muffler Men. I thought it would be fun just to track them down on a long car ride.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Talky Tina said...

Let me try this again, I've tried 3 times and the post won't stick. I found Roadside America by chance. It is an awesome site. I spent a few hours tracking down all the Muffler Men that are left, some standing some not. Everyone should just wander around that site. (Patty)

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home